While visiting in someone's home, I noticed my old friend, Strawberry Shortcake, on the television. There she was, with all her little pals, having a grand adventure.
When I was a girl, Strawberry Shortcake and her friends were my absolute favorite dolls. I played with those little dolls so much that I'm surprised the scents never got rubbed away.
It was a little weird to see Strawberry Shortcake here in Jordan, so far away from her homeland. Maybe not quite as strange as the time I was sitting in someone's home and up pops Oprah on the television. It was a rerun of a really old show, but the lady watching it was captivated.
In spite of the influence of Hollywood on perhaps every corner of the world - Jordan included - not everyone approves of America's entertainment industry.
It is one thing to show tame Strawberry Shortcake movies or even old reruns of liberal Oprah shows; it is quite another thing to show the rest of the stuff Hollywood belches out.
We know a man here in his 20s who works in the broadcasting industry. He says that sometimes they take an American movie and alter it for Middle Eastern audiences. He says that you would not recognize the two productions because they remove the sex scenes, the violence, and immodesty. Many Americans, of course, would be aghast at such censorship.

No comments:
Post a Comment