"I have been driven to my knees many times by the overwhelming conviction that I had no other place to go."
Abraham Lincoln
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can (for me) change this."
Albert Einstein
Both Lincoln and Einstein accomplished great things with their lives. Both are considered successful contributors to mankind. I am intrigued by both of their lives. Yet, if I were to engage in a debate of these two historical characters, I would side with Lincoln. Einstein believed in physics, but Lincoln believed in the God who created molecules. Einstein relied on the power of the mind to reason and deduce; Lincoln relied on the power of God to compensate for his human frailty.
Were Lincoln and Einstein to stand side-by-side, in my estimation the greater would be Lincoln. He knew how to bend his knee, to humble himself, to acknowledge his weaknesses. There are many intellectual people in the world, but few truly humble ones. In God's eyes, humility - that rare and precious quality - is greatly valued. Next to humility, human achievements pale. If I could, I would side with Lincoln, who, though imperfect, at least acknowledged his need of God. He is the greater man.


No comments:
Post a Comment