Friday, October 5, 2012

World Smile Day


Today, the first Friday of October, is World Smile Day. It began in 1999 and was the brainstorm of Harvey Ball, a commercial artist who officially created the smiley face in 1963. Harvey Ball was from Worcester (pronounced "Woo-ster"), Massachusetts. I have spent some time in Worcester and it is certainly a place that needs a lot of smiles!

I know that, even if I don't feel like smiling, if I will smile anyway, it somehow makes the day seem so much better. No matter what life is handing us, a smile makes things a bit more bearable. It brightens up our day and spreads cheer to others.

Smiling is contagious. Smile at someone and their natural response is to smile back. It is amazing the good that comes from such a simple action. When we smile, we give a  little gift to someone else...only to have the gift bounce back to us! It is a win-win situation.

This week, we are in St. Louis at the UPCI General Conference. One of the songs sung was "I Wanna Make You Smile." I liked it. It is a musical expression of our desire to please God. I think God does smile. Even though I can't see His smile with my physical eyes, I can sense it with my spiritual eyes. When I am a little droopy, His smile cheers me up and changes my perspective.

So, today - and other days too - smile! And - as they say in Minnesota - "Enjoy the Day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment