Sylvia's Note: I receive newsletters from Arlo and Jane Moehlenpah. I wanted to post this one because it encourages the persistence of faith in times of adversity. There is something about singing unto God that has a way of lifting our spirits and placing our focus back on God, where it belongs!
This message
was my response to perhaps the toughest trial of our lives. Over 28 years have
passed and I share it now in the hope it will encourage others who are going
through a difficult time.
The word "will" means to express
determination, obligation or firm resolve. It is relatively easy to sing when
things are going as you want them to as evidenced by some verses in the New
Testament regarding singing. "in the midst of the church will I sing
praise unto thee." Hebrews 2:12. "Is any merry? let him sing
psalms." James 5:13. "I will sing with the spirit and I will sing
with the understanding also." I Corinthians 14:15. But will you sing
when you are going through a difficult trial?
Let's interview Jesus at the last supper.
(Matthew 26)
Question: Are all the disciples loyal?
Jesus: No, one of them is going to betray
me and sell me like a slave.
Question: What about the other eleven?
Jesus: In the very near future Peter is
going to deny me three times. All the others will forsake me and flee.
Question: What is your future?
Jesus: My body will be broken and my blood
will be shed for all.
Question: How do you feel?
Jesus: My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto
death. I will pray shortly that if it is possible this hour might pass from me.
Question: What are you going to do?
Jesus: I WILL SING! Matthew 26:30,
"And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of
Olives."
Let's interview Paul and Silas in the
Philippian jail. (Acts 16)
Question: How did you get in here?
Answer: We cast the spirit of divination
out of a slave girl.
Question: Why would that cause you to be
put in prison?
Answer: When her masters saw the hope of
their gain was lost they brought us to the rulers.
Question: Then what happened?
Answer: They falsely accused us of
troubling the city and teaching unlawful customs.
Question: How did you get these awful
wounds on your back?
Answer: The magistrates tore off our
clothes and commanded us to be beaten with many stripes.
Question: Why didn't you claim your Roman
citizenship?
Answer: Somehow I just didn't feel led to,
but if this ever happens again I sure will.
Question: What is that about your feet?
Answer: These are called stocks.
Question: You are way down here in the
inner prison and no one will ever find you down here. What are you going to do?
Answer: WE WILL SING! Acts 16:25, At
midnight Paul and Silas prayed and sang praises unto God.
Let's interview David. Psalm 101. (1
Samuel 18:7-28; 19:10-16; 23:14; 26:2)
Question: When did your trouble with Saul
start?
David: When the women said, "Saul
hath slain his thousands and David his ten thousands." Apparently Saul
imagined I would want to be king.
Question: What has Saul done to you?
David: He tried to kill me with a javelin
several times. Also he was hoping to have me killed when he required me to kill
100 Philistines in order to marry his daughter Michal. Later he sent messengers
to my house to kill me. He has been seeking my life every day and now has 3000
chosen men seeking me in the wilderness of Ziph.
Question: Are you going to retaliate?
David: No, the scripture says, "Touch
not mine anointed and do my prophets no harm."
Question: David, what are you going to do?
David: I WILL SING!
What will you do with setbacks in life?
When you are:
Falsely accused or slandered against.
Laid off or fired from job.
Voted out of an office.
Or when your:
Child, spouse, or near relative dies.
House burns to the ground.
Automobile is totaled.
Body is stricken with a terminal illness.
Business fails.
Marriage fails.
Will you sing then?
I trust that you will be able to say with
a firm resolve like Jesus, Paul and David "I WILL SING!"
Many of you are familiar with my lack of
musical talents. I am not asked to sing solos or participate in a choir.
However "I WILL SING!" because "all things work together for
good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his
purpose." Romans 8:28. There is a song of praise in my heart! I encourage
you to keep singing.
Sylvia's Note: The Moehlenpahs were instructors at Christian Life College when I was a student there. I enjoyed his "Teacher Training" class. I hope you were blessed by his message about the benefits of singing unto the Lord...even if you are tone-deaf!
Sylvia's Note: The Moehlenpahs were instructors at Christian Life College when I was a student there. I enjoyed his "Teacher Training" class. I hope you were blessed by his message about the benefits of singing unto the Lord...even if you are tone-deaf!
No comments:
Post a Comment