Friday, November 16, 2012

Seeing Stars

Last night, about 8 p.m., I decided I needed to go for a walk. I was feeling sluggish. I have been out of my walking habit lately and I can always tell the difference when I'm not able to walk regularly. Since Pine Bluff is not a very safe city, especially at night, I decided to walk around the church parking lot. Four times around the perimeter of the lot is a mile.

I was enjoying my walk, along with a few jumps with my jump rope, when I happened to notice the American flag in front of the church. I was standing directly beneath it. The American flag is always beautiful and I was noticing the stars on the flag when my gaze traveled beyond them to the night sky. There, in the vastness of space, are millions of twinkling lights.

I thought about the contrast of the two sets of stars. One - representative of a magnificent but man-made nation - and the other - a divine masterpiece of unknown depth.

"When I consider the heavens..." The beautiful American flag was small and insignificant in comparison to God's mighty handiwork. I was once again reminded that God is in control. Before there was a USA, He was there. Before there was a European Union, He was there. Before the rise and fall of every empire, He was there. He is the Great I Am. The Existent One. The Mighty God.

Man will come and man will go but God will remain. We are finite but He is infinite. We are limited; He is limitless. We are weak; He is strong. I find great consolation in this. My weaknesses do not hinder His greatness. I can rest in that.

I do not want it to happen, but perhaps one day our beautiful flag will no longer fly. I love America and hope that it never falls. That would be a terrible day. Yet, no matter what happens in our nation or in our world, we have this consolation: As we gaze upon the stars...the handiwork of God...we can be reminded that He will never change. He will never fail. Come what may in our country or our lives, God will remain the same. He is the Rock that we can always trust in. He is dependable. Just as He spoke the stars into existence, and as He spoke, "Peace, be still" over the turbulent waters of the Sea of Galilee, so does He bring calm and stability to our lives. Every night, in the darkened sky, He places a visual reminder of His greatness. All we need to do is look up.


1 comment:

  1. Love this thought, Sylvia! It reminded me of a time in Yellowstone National Park. My cousin was standing at the top of a hill at the foot of the mountains. His back was to me, as he stood gazing up at the beautiful, majestic mountains in front of us. He looked so tiny in comparison to those mountains! The scripture came to me: Psalm 8:3 & 4 "When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars which thou hast ordained; What is man that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man that thou visitest him?" We serve a Mighty God, Creator of heaven & earth!

    Enjoy your day in His creation! Your friend always, Denise

    ReplyDelete