Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Great First

This past Sunday evening, I sat beside my Grandmother in church for the first time ever. It was a thrilling experience. She is 92 and God has done some marvelous things in her life this year. Even though Grandma is sometimes in pain, she has a contentment and peace that can only be from God. Every time I think about what has transpired in her life this year, I get excited and encouraged. She was baptized in Jesus' name and filled with the Holy Ghost this year. She is an awesome example of the difference God makes in people's lives. Grandma has always been a good person, but God working in her life has made a huge difference in her countenance and mindset. We have been here in Arkansas just a few days, but I have heard her refer to God and prayer in her conversation, something she has never done much before. She reminds me of that old song, "It's Real." The Holy Ghost experience IS real and it makes real, identifiable changes in people's hearts and lives. It fills the void that only Jesus can fill...and that makes all the difference.

Grandma is a remarkable person. She birthed eight children - four boys and four girls. She worked faithfully beside her husband and she worked hard. Because we lived in St. Louis when I was growing up, we were not around her on a regular basis. But during our visits, I was always aware that Grandma was a hard-working woman. She was always busy serving, cooking, gardening. I remember one time in particular, as Grandma and the other women shelled beans together. All the beans! It was enough to feed to whole county, it seemed!

Since Grandma's fall earlier this year, she no longer lives in the house she called "home" for so long. But she says she likes her nursing home and the people there that help her. Truly, in many ways, God really has blessed her with unusual contentment.

The last time we saw Grandma was in Spring 2011. This time, our schedule is allowing us to spend more time here, and I am glad of that. Maybe Grandma will feel good enough to come to another service while we are here, but if not, spending time with her and the memory of being with her Sunday night are little treasures I can store in my special memory bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment