Writing a book is about 10% inspiration. The rest is W-O-R-K.
I did not realize this until I launched into a writing ministry, which started in the most unexpected way. Back in 2006, when Bill was serving as interim pastor of Milo Pentecostal Church, he asked me to teach a nutrition seminar to the church. Through the years, I had accumulated a lot of knowledge, notes, and books on the subject. Yet, it took a lot of time to formulate teaching notes for that five-session seminar.
When the seminar was over, Bill suggested that I take my notes and use them to write a book. I remember thinking, I should have this book finished by December. (That was in September, I think.)
Little did I realize that I had just committed myself to a three-year long intensive project! Food for Thought was born after a strenuous gestational period. Two more books came into existence after that: Cooking with Wisdom and Walking Ancient Paths. Several more are in the oven.
Every once in a while, when Bill hears me typing, he'll say, "Backspace, backspace, backspace." His sense of humor makes me laugh. He has joked and said he is going to call me "Sister Backspace." The truth is that good writing requires untold revisions. I am glad there is a backspace key on my computer keyboard. I hope I don't wear it out!
Even though writing really is a lot of work…and late nights…and early mornings…and bleary eyes, I love it. I do a variety of things in the Kingdom, but writing is my niche, or, perhaps I should say, one of my niches.
The Apostle Paul told the church located in Corinth that in the body of Christ, there are many parts (I Corinthians 12:12). We don't all have the same function, but as we do our part, the body works harmoniously.
What is your part?
Where is your niche?
God has a special place for you in the body. As we put Him first in our lives, He will reveal to us how and where in the body He designed us to function.
Once you realize your function in the body, yes, work will be necessary to fulfill your purpose. But it will be a million times worth the effort you invest into allowing God to use your life in His Kingdom.
No comments:
Post a Comment