Sunday, March 9, 2014
The Thick 'o Dust
I borrow my post title from a Downeast Maine phrase. When the fog rolls in, they say, "It's the thick 'o fog out there." What we have here in Jordan is not usually fog; it is dust. And it is thick. It hangs in the air. It clings to your skin. And hair.
The wind blows the dust onto the four flights of outdoor steps that we have to clean. It gets into my eyes, making them itchy. It covers our clean car, disguising its color. The clothes I hang on the clothesline on the roof get a dusting of floating dust for our wearing pleasure.
I feel sorry for people with asthma or dust allergies. Dust advisories are publicized, urging people sensitive to dust to stay home. They can't completely avoid the dust, even inside, since the houses are not sealed very well, but at least they can avoid its full force.
This dust is gray with a brown tint. At other times, the dust will be slightly orange. I guess the color of the dust in the air is determined by the color of the soil. Just like in the United States, Jordan has some diversity of soil types.
It is Springtime here in Jordan and that means one dusty day after another. Like all weather, we take it as it comes...this too shall pass!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment