For most of this summer, the air conditioner in our truck has been defunct. It has been hot, contrary to what some people perceive about Northern summers. As much as possible, we have tried to schedule errands for early or late in the day, although that is not always possible. Some of our drives to church have been particularly unpleasant and sticky. Due to the flood of things that have needed our monetary attention this summer, the air conditioner found itself at the bottom of the list.
It has been the kind of heat that leaves you feeling like wilted lettuce after about five minutes of exposure. Yet, we are still alive. It is amazing the things we take for granted and the things in life that make our lives so comfortable but that are not essential for survival. Although I am looking forward to the day when Bill is able to turn his attention to our air conditioner, being without cool air in the truck has made me more thankful for it. It is an example of "You don't know how good something is until it is gone."
When I was a kid, the story of Pollyanna's Glad Game fascinated me. Her life was filled with mishaps, but she always found something to be grateful for. One Christmas, she wanted a doll for Christmas, but all she got in the missionary barrel was a pair of crutches. At first dismayed, she then became grateful for the crutches...since she did not have to use them.
I know this is way too simple for some people to want to embrace. But gratefulness really is a perspective changer. I have found it effective many times, when I would have over-reacted of become discouraged otherwise.
Just a few days, in Andover, Minnesota, a lady in a church said to me, "Thank you for coming and refreshing us." Then, she added, "But you and Brother Ferrin seem to always be refreshed."
Certainly, when we are ministering to people, the last thing we want to do is get people down by talking about all of our own problems! But, as I told that lady, we have to take ourselves into the presence of the Lord on a regular basis, just like everyone else. Our strength is not within our own abilities; we find it in Jesus. Because our "job" demands that we try to help people with their problems, we hear a lot of the ugliness that life brings to people's lives. We have to find our way into the presence of the Lord and let Him renew us so that we can go the next church and do it all over again.
It is easy? Not really. It is draining? Sometimes. Is it worth is? Absolutely. A/C or no, we are in this for the long haul. And...as long as I'm playing the Glad Game, I think I will be thankful that the A/C in our RV is at peak performance, keeping us cool day and night. I think I will be glad that I do not have to live in our truck!
No comments:
Post a Comment