Monday, July 13, 2015

Do you want to go with?

We are spending our summer in North Dakota. One of the perks of traveling throughout the United States is learning about the many cultural nuances within our diverse society. One of the things I repeatedly hear here in the Peace Garden State is a question or statement that ends with the word "with." 

For example, a person might say, "I'm going with." It leaves me mentally asking, "With who?" They assume the listener will figure out the "who" part by the context of the conversation. I often hear someone ask, "Do you want to go with?" Again, the speaker assumes that the listener will know who they are being asked to go with. Instead of asking, "Do you want to go with me?" it is just "Do you want to go with?"

It is growing on me to hear "Do you want to go with?" minus the pronoun I usually hear tagged to the end of such questions. 

I'm tempted to combine a whole big bunch of such cultural nuances that we have heard throughout the years and create a story. From Boston's standard "Pahk the cah in Hahvahd yahd" to the South's vocabulary inventions like "eatinest" and California's stereotypical Valley talk that floods every sentence with "like," it would make for an interesting story! Not sure who would be able to understand it, though. I might have to include a lengthy glossary for translation purposes. 

Ah, well, in the meantime, enjoy your trip the next time someone asks you, "Do you want to go with?"  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment