Saturday, December 22, 2012

That Wedge-Shaped Tool


Many years ago, when I was just a kid, Brother Lumpkin, a minister from Arkansas, came to our church in St. Louis. He preached a message entitled "The Wedge-Shaped Tool of Discouragement." He talked about how the devil uses the tool of discouragement to get into our lives. When other, more obvious, tactics fail, he resorts to discouragement.

I know that there are some people who scoff at talk about the demonic world and its influence upon humanity. Although I do not generally broach such subjects here on this blog, I will touch on it briefly now. No one will ever be able to tell me that there are not demonic forces at work in the world. I have felt the presence of demons before. I have seen demon possessed people. Bill and I have tried to help people who have demonic influence in their lives. Sometimes, the influence is very obvious, such as some of the blatantly possessed people we have known. Other times, the influence is barely detectable, and people attribute demonic forces to other - human - sources. 

The job of the devil is to steal, kill and destroy. The mission of the Lord is just the opposite. He came that we might have life, abundant life. The devil's job is to tear us down. God's wants to build us up. (See John 10:10.)

When Brother Lumpkin talked about how the devil will try to discourage us, he was really onto something. The devil's wedge-shaped tool will find a tiny crack in our lives and broaden that crack wider and wider. It will work and work until we feel defeated and hopeless, crushing our faith, and separating us from God. And separating us from God is the devil's goal. 

It is not difficult to disarm the devil. When we begin to feel overwhelmed by life, rather than give in to the feelings and thoughts that try to envelop us, we can turn to Jesus. 

Look to Jesus, away from the lies that want to cement themselves in your spirit. Read the Word. Believe the Word. Pray in the Spirit, building yourself up in your most holy faith (Jude 20). When we do these things, we do not give the devil an opportunity to use circumstances to defeat us. We do not give him anything to magnify. We close the crack; his wedge-shaped tool is unable to find a crevice to begin its work. 

Be ENcouraged today! Jesus loves you. No matter what comes your way, as you keep your eyes on Jesus, you will make it all the way home!

No comments:

Post a Comment