Friday, June 8, 2012

Expectations

Lower your expectations of people. 
Raise your expectations of God. 

As a preface, I would like to explain that I do not lightly say "God spoke to me." I do not want to give the impression of super-spirituality. Nor do I want to be trite about the voice of God. But He really does speak to His people if we will be humble and take time to listen. It is a great privilege to be able to hear God speak to us. Note: His written Word will ALWAYS confirm His spoken Word. If you cannot find what you have heard backed up by Scripture, then it was not His voice.

So, not long ago, during a time of prayer, God did say to me, "You need to lower your expectations of people and raise your expectations of me." It was like a light bulb came on. Of course...His word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path, giving me guidance as I walk down life's road (Psalm 119:105).

It is a liberating thought. People, just because they are people, will disappoint me. It is an unrealistic expectation to believe that people will never hurt me. If I constantly live surprised when people say or do something hurtful, I will continually receive into my spirit the hurt being inflicted. 

But I can keep in mind that other people are just people - like me. They are subject to error, poor judgment, carnality, and selfishness. So, I should not be surprised when people do dumb things! They are just people - like me - and are going to do, think, and speak as people always have. (Pastor Urshan's words will always ring in my ears: "Human nature has always been the same." Regardless of the era - the Garden of Eden, the Roman world, or the year 2012 - people are the same. You can put new styles of clothes on them, you can provide them with cutting-edge technology, but they will still respond and think as people always have. If we think our society is so much more civilized than past generations, we need only, on any given day, read in the newspaper the barbaric things people do right here in the "civilized" United States of America!) 

It is a simple thought, but a powerful one. I do not need to live a roller-coaster kind of life, being directed up and down, up and down, based upon the actions of others. Although their actions may hurt me, I do not expect them to be flawless. They are not responsible for my peace. They are not the Source of everything that I need. My peace is not determined by the actions of others and their ups and downs. God is constant, never changing. As I base my life on His foundation, my peace will remain, regardless of what occurs around me.  

And God will never fail. That is why the Psalmist said to "magnify the Lord." God will never become any bigger than He is. But in our minds, as we focus on His power and glory, He will become bigger and bigger. My expectations of Him can never know a limit, because He is limitless! He is the Almighty. 

It is not a defeatist mentality, nor is it the product of disillusionment, cynicism, or resentment. It is a powerful paradigm shift...to understand that people will always be subject to change and I cannot fully rely on the strength of any human being, including myself. As I said, it is actually a liberating concept. It frees me from foolish expectations that cause me to frequently disappointed. 

It is okay that I allow people to be people. But at the same time, I can allow God to be God! This does not detract from relationships in my life, but actually gives them a proper perspective. Yes, I need people and I need the relationships of friends and family. But I do not need them to the same degree that I need God. God is the Source. All else that is good are just additional blessings. People will never be able to supply me with all that I need, but if I allow Him, God truly will be my everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment