Yesterday, we were working from 7 a.m. until past midnight. We moved locations - from Grand Rapids, MN to Barnum, MN. As we were setting up our RV, we encountered a glitch. As Bill was taking out the slide, we heard a cracking sound. Bill and Joe Reece, pastor of the church here, examined the slide and figured out what had broken. (I will not try to supply the details, since the mechanical world is a bit beyond the range of my expertise.) The long and short of it is that the slide needed repair. Last night, Bill and Bro. Reece spent a couple of hours working on it and Bill has been working on it a good portion of today.
What we had hoped would be a couple of days to catch up on tasks has turned into a major work project and the other tasks that need to get done are pushed back again. Fortunately, Bill does not need me too much as he works on the slide, so I am able to do a few things inside.
If you recall, we had a blowout exactly two weeks ago. We have not had any time at all to begin to repair the damage done to the RV that night. We also have an awning that needs to be replaced, since we are getting leaks inside. No time for that either. I'll stop here, rather than list all the other things that need tending to right now.
Ministering to people always comes first. If someone stops by the RV for prayer or to talk about something they need help with, we drop what we are doing. We might not get back to our task at hand for hours, even days. People take priority. This often puts us miles behind in things we need to do, but Jesus - our greatest example - took time for PEOPLE. They are His top priority.
Evangelizing is not a carefree life. It is not glamorous. It is a calling. If we were looking at what we are doing as a job, or a career, we would be continually aggravated. But, really, we generally take things in stride. If we thought of this as a career, we would think that we are not sufficiently compensated for all the problems we encounter, the wearisome miles, the unpredictable lifestyle. Living from dime to dime does not really bother me. God always makes sure that we have what we need for life's day-to-day demands.
Called. When God called Bill to evangelize, he responded. And I accompanied him. When I got married, I was serious about my vows. It is until death parts us, regardless of what may come. Ups and downs of life are expected. Any obstacle that we have to overcome in order to fulfill the call can be overcome with the help of God. They are just bumps in the road. Little things that are a part of fulfilling the call.
Earlier this year, we enjoyed hearing our friend Pastor Steve Simpson teach several times. One of his teachings was called "Time is Your Enemy." "Put a man in a place," he said, "and over time he can forget why he was put there in the first place. Pressures of life, problems, monotony, distractions can cause him to forget his purpose."
What a great thought to keep in mind, not just for me but for every Christian. We cannot allow anything to distract us from our purpose, our calling. We should fight to keep our purpose and calling in sharp focus. The little things in life are not the important things. God's call, His voice, His purpose for our lives is paramount. Our lives are so short. I do not want to waste time, even one day, discouraged by life's obstacles. Even when we have to take care of the menial, we should not allow God's calling to get lost in the cares of life.
Called. I am called. It makes it worth it all. It really does. Just being called is more than enough compensation for every trial, every obstacle. I am privileged, blessed, to be used of God, to be his chosen vessel. Money means little to me. Possessions will fade, break, and become out-of-style. God's Word never fails. And His purpose is more tangible than currency or possessions. But His Word, His commission, His calling will never fade, go out-of-style, or change.
When it comes time for me to die, it won't matter how much money I have or what I own. All that will matter is my relationship with God and my obedience to Him. Did I please Him with my life? Did I use the time he gave me wisely? Did I change in the ways that He asked me to change? Was I a God-pleaser, rather than a people-pleaser? Did I seek Him with my whole heart? Was I kind to others, even when they were not kind to me? Did I resist His will for my life? Did I try to control my life, rather than giving up and letting Him lead me, even if I really did not want to go to some of the places He wanted me to go?
I have been called. God, help me to be committed, completely committed to fulfilling your call, in my personal life and as I minister to others.
Such thought provoking remarks. Thanks for being honest and responding to God's calling. God bless you both and we hope to see you in the future. You are in our prayers and hope all goes well with your RV issues.
ReplyDelete