Tonight, at 6:45, my pastor left. He entered what he used to
call the “dusky corridor” between this life and the next. My life was
profoundly affected by this man, Jonathan Urshan, as were the lives of
countless others. He was a rare man, ministering with the perfect balance of
truth and love. He was so compassionate, so full of grace and mercy. He offered
instruction, sometimes with sternness, but the sternness was always laced with love.
He believed in the God of a second chance.
I remember the first time I ever met Brother Urshan. I was
in the cafeteria at Gateway College. Bill and I were dating at the time. I saw Brother
Urshan and felt intimated by his mere presence. Yet, once I got to know him, I
found my intimidation unwarranted, for he was kind to me and interested in my
life. He showed mercy to me, as he did to so many others. Even when people, to
their own detriment, refused his advice, he still loved them and showed them
compassion and mercy. He understood the predictability of human nature and
people’s tendency to take the easy path.
Brother Urshan’s wisdom affected me more than I can say. When he preached and taught, even during a Saturday night prayer meeting, I clung to each word. It never bothered me that he preached 45 minutes, even an hour, because he was feeding me, my mind, my spirit. The meals he served were rich and deep.
Brother Urshan’s wisdom affected me more than I can say. When he preached and taught, even during a Saturday night prayer meeting, I clung to each word. It never bothered me that he preached 45 minutes, even an hour, because he was feeding me, my mind, my spirit. The meals he served were rich and deep.
Brother Urshan was a man of excellence. People often
commented about Brother Urshan’s immaculate appearance, but his commitment to
excellence went far beyond his manner of dress. He was a master teacher, a
student of the art of language and communication. He never wasted a word, but
carefully selected each one to transmit the messages God gave him.
Although most people will never make the connection, Brother
Urshan’s influence will show through in my life until the day I die. For 18-1/2 years, he has been my pastor (Brother Urshan's younger son Andrew Urshan became our pastor as well a couple of years ago, when he stepped in to take some of the load off of his dad.) Even when Bill and I are far away in a distant
state or country, his words come to my mind. In times of decision, his
words and Sister Urshan’s kind spirit instruct me on how to think, how to
talk, how to react. (Speaking of Sister Urshan and her true Christ-like
example, the Urshans celebrated their 50th anniversary two days ago,
Friday, in the hospital.)
Brother Urshan believed in me and what I could be with God.
I have lost a precious person today, yet his contribution will live on in my
life. I will never forget Brother Urshan’s compassion…such love and mercy, such
willingness to help me in times of crisis and pain, yet he rejoiced in my
victories and encouraged me. My loss is Heaven’s gain. This is a bittersweet
time, knowing that I will never again see my pastor. Yet his influence will
live forever. I, along with so many others, have suffered a loss today, yet we
would not be what we are today without our hero’s encouragement and instruction.
He was a hero of faith.
I have heard Brother Urshan reference Psalm 90:10: “The days
of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be
fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut
off, and we fly away.” Sadly, Brother Urshan lived to experience this verse, as the
last few years of his life were beset with physical pain and sickness.
In 1989, Bill walked into Bethel one morning at 8:00. He was
troubled and hurting. Brother Urshan had only been pastor there for about six
months. He was living in the back of the church at the time. He came out and
talked to Bill. That day was the beginning of the rest of Bill’s life. That
day, God changed the course of his life. And that day, Brother Urshan became a
spiritual father to Bill.
In 1993, when Bill and I married, I left the Apostolic
Pentecostal Church in St. Louis; Bethel in St. Peters became my home church.
For the next 18-1/2 years, Brother Urshan was my pastor. Although Bill and I
left Missouri in 1999 to evangelize and have only returned to visit, Bethel has
always been our home church and Brother Urshan has always been our pastor. I have truly been blessed beyond measure.
Bill was perhaps one of the last non-family members who saw
Brother Urshan. He sat with him Thursday evening in the hospital as Brother
Urshan was waiting to get transferred to Barnes Hospital. They talked about
healings and the goodness of the Lord. I was expressing my regret for not
taking a picture of Bill with Brother Urshan the last time we saw him, but Bill
said that sitting with him that one last time was much better than a picture.
It is nothing except the providence of God that we are in
St. Louis right now. Tonight, we were at Bethel when Brother Andrew Urshan texted and said
that Brother Urshan slipped from this life at 6:45. If we would have been
somewhere far away, it would have been difficult to get back here for this
week. God is so good and kind to us. He knew that we would value being here for
these last few days of Brother Urshan’s life.
He was a great man, one which is hard to find and can never
be replaced. I will miss him…a lot. But his contributions to my life will live
on. As he was steadfast, so do I want to be steadfast. As He loved truth, so do
I want to love truth. I want to emulate him compassion, his kindness, his merciful
nature. Brother Urshan was trustworthy, forgiving, and temperate in his lifestyle and eating habits.
Brother Urshan was a Middle Easterner, a Persian by birth.
His family has a rich spiritual heritage. His uncle, Andrew Urshan, was a
Pentecostal pioneer. Brother Urshan spent the first 18 years of his life in
Israel. His firsthand experiences were often woven into his preaching and
teaching, making the Word come alive. He did not hoard his heritage, but shared
it with any who wanted it.
I already miss him, but I am so thankful that the Lord
allowed me to live under his ministry and influence for 18-1/2 years. I am
blessed. I am blessed. He fought a good fight, he finished his course, his kept the faith. Without a doubt, Brother Urshan could have said, "Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."
No comments:
Post a Comment