When we were in Fresno, we were invited to the home of Dora and "Nacho" Mata. Dora was born in El Salvador and "Nacho" in Mexico. I think she said they met each other in Los Angeles. In spite of the slight language barrier, we thoroughly enjoyed visiting them.
Everyone that knows her says that Dora makes the best tamales around. I must say that, although we are not experts on south-of-the-border food, we thought they were great. She said that the food in El Salvador is very different from Mexican food. It is mostly vegetables, very little meat. The meal she served us - salmon and vegetables - was delicious.
In the course of conversation, Dora told us that from the time she was a small child, her parents taught her how to carry things on her head. She demonstrated for us. She has a small indentation on the top of her head as proof that she has had a lot of practice transporting burdens on her head. She does not have back or neck pain because of it, as one might suppose. Actually, as I watched her, I think it might encourage good posture and balance.
With my penchant for different cultures, I appreciated Dora's remembrances of her life in El Salvador. Her father was a denominational minister. Their family did not have an easy life. Often they had little to eat. Her gratitude for America and all the good it offers is apparent in her conversation. This time, I did not have to travel overseas to be reminded that, in spite of America's many and increasing deficiencies, it is still a great country.
No comments:
Post a Comment