Vercinia and I can trace our friendship back to our teenage years. I have memories of time we shared together at camps and an extended visit to her home in northern Missouri. Those carefree days seem like a lifetime ago, and in some ways they are, because our lives have changed so much since then. Now a wife to Brad and mother to Jaden and baby Elias, Vercinia lives in the United Arab Emirates. (For those of you who haven't a clue where in the world this Gulf state is, think east of Saudi Arabia. You have probably heard of Dubai or Abu Dhabi, cities in the UAE.)
Vercinia lost her father recently and we are sad for her, her six siblings and her mom. No one can replace a dad, yet we pray that Vercinia's Heavenly Father will comfort her and keep her in His loving care.
It was a wonderful thing to be able to briefly visit my friend the night before they flew back to their home in the UAE. Though our visit was short, and the conversation was a bit quick and scattered, we talked as though we had seen each other just yesterday. Actually, it has been about eight years since we last saw each other face to face. It is cool to have friends that need no reintroduction. Though we have both changed somewhat, we can still easily identify with each other, and that makes communication pretty easy.
I know I'm dating myself, but I remember a Michael W. Smith song that was popular about the time Vercinia and I were buddies. Here it is:
Packing up the dreams God planted
In the fertile soil of you
I can't believe the hopes He's granted
Means a chapter of your life is through
But we'll keep you close as always
It won't even seem you've gone
'Cause our hearts in big and small ways
Will keep the love that keeps us strong
And friends are friends forever
If the Lord's the Lord of them
And a friend will not say never
'Cause the welcome will not end
Though it's hard to let you go
In the Father's hands we know
That a lifetime's not too long
To live as friends
And with the faith and love God's given
Springing from the hope we know
We will pray the joy you live in
Is the strength that now you show
We'll keep you close as always
It won't even seem you've gone
'Cause our hearts in big and small ways
Will keep the love that keeps us strong
No comments:
Post a Comment