Thursday, September 8, 2011

Are Books Becoming Obselete?

Are paper books a thing of the past? 

I am in the process of writing other books. So far, although someone occasionally asks me if my books are available electronically, most people do not hesitate to purchase paper copies of my books. 

But will it always be this way? The current youthful generation knows nothing except computers. Do they associate paper books, manuals, and magazines with an older, out-of-touch way of doing things? I have balked at publishing my books in e-form, though it might generate additional revenue, but am I behaving as though I am more content to ride in a wagon, while everyone else whizzes by in cars? 

These are questions I have been asking myself. So where did I look for ideas and opinions on this subject? Not a library filled with paper books, but the Internet! What I found was a mixed bag. Although paper books will probably not completely go away anytime soon, the easy access to information, the elimination of the need for storage, and the appeal to minds that have become accustomed to virtual communication all favor e-books. 

Yet, there are plenty of dissenting voices, and not all of them belong to the aged among us. I came upon a good article discussing this subject. If you are interested in this topic and have a few minutes, jump to http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-how-to-survive-the-age-of-distraction-2301851.html

It is an excellent article. Johann Hari makes the point that to read a paper book a person has to slow down, tune out the electronic media that surrounds him/her. You have to settle, be patient (as is unnecessary with electronics). You must tune out distractions. 

In this is an advantage of paper books over their electronic counterparts. The sensory experience of holding a book in your hands has the abiblity to connect you to the content within and join the author on a journey. 

Hari thinks paper books will survive because fast-moving media - with all of its advantages - does not provide the deep, thoughtful instrospection that people crave. From my limited and unscientific research, I conclude that, while many people do reach for e-books, there is still a market for paper books. Paper book sales continue to plummet and Borders is closing its doors, but a few people still prefer paper books. Eventually the medium of a paper book might be completely replaced by electronics, just as papyrus is only something you see in a museum. 

But, personally, though I may be wrong, I think that time is at least a few generations away, if it even occurs. After all, Gutenberg did have a good thing going. 

I guess I'll ride the wave and see where its headed. In the meantime, I won't feel guilty about indulging in a little nostalgia regarding books. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of quiet hours passed in quiet libraries, pondering over ideas presented by authors young and old. I immersed myself in reading and acquired an education impossible to achieve in the formal classroom. As Hari states, paper book reading "gives you the capacity for deep, linear concentration." So, since the communication medium of ink and paper is still alive and well, I will appreciate it as long as it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment