Monday, May 2, 2011

Skowhegan Sunday

We were in Skowhegan, Maine Sunday. In the morning, Richard received the gift of the Holy Ghost. He was baptized in Jesus' name that evening.

Richard was won to the Lord by Solomon, a seventeen-year-old who is in his second year of college, wants to attend MIT in Boston, and feels a call to work for the Lord.

Through the years, Bill and I have visited Skowhegan several times. I vividly recall our first visit. The Herseys were pastoring the church then. We walked into the Herseys' home, exchanged greetings, and he asked me, "Do you like Pup-Peronis?" We were there to join the Herseys for dinner, so I thought maybe this was some strange Northern food I had never tried. Turns out that it was a strange food I had never tried, but it was not unique to Maine. They had a dog (I think his name was Skippy) who was quite familiar with this food. Fortunately, Bro. Hersey was only joking and everyone had a laugh at my expense.

The Herseys are also responsible for introducing us to another food, but this one was intended for human consumption. Whoopie Pies are like a sugar sandwich. A whipped icing-type filling is sandwiched between two little chocolate cakes. They are kind of cute but are sugar overload.

The Herseys now live in southern Missouri but, ironically, although we are from Missouri, we rarely see them. We are not in Missouri very often and when we are, we spend most of our time in St. Louis, which is about three hours north of where the Herseys live.

We have these and other memories from Skowhegan and neighboring Norridgewock, both towns whose names are the product of American Indian influence. The Kennebec River runs through Skowhegan and the falls at the dam in the quaint downtown area are some of the prettiest around.

No comments:

Post a Comment