Normally, a visit to a brewery would be last on my list of things to do. I have never drank anything alcoholic, nor do I plan to ever do so. But last week I found myself spending several hours exploring this historic brick building. Interesting nooks and long, steep, ornate staircases. Beautiful water views and modern shops and restaurants.
.
Duluth is the home of Fitger's Brewing Company, whose history stretches back into the 1800s. Somewhere along the way, August Fitger and Percy Anneke struck an agreement and became partners in the brewery ownership. Percy's son Victor took the helm in 1920. Several years passed and both August Fitger and Percy Anneke passed away. Then, in 1937, in the prime of life, Victor Anneke died also. This closed the door of the participation of the Anneke family in this brewing company.
.
And herein lies the secret to our interest in this rambling building, which no longer houses a massive brewery, but is the the home of small stores, restaurants and businesses, and a small brewing operation. Victor Anneke was married to Elsa Kraus. In additon to being a concert pianist with the Duluth Symphony Orchestra, Elsa was Bill's great-aunt. Fitger's: The Brewery and its People (page 67) mentions the Anneke-Kraus marital union: "Victor married Elsa Kraus in Saint Louis, Missouri, on May 10, 1919. The Kraus family was a very close friend of Adolphus Busch, who sold Busch the label "Budweiser." The Busch family attended the wedding. Charles Kraus, Victor's father-in-law, would become an important advisor to Victor." Charles Kraus was Bill's great-grandfather.
.
The conclusion of the matter? Your guess is as good as mine. I can't think of a moral to the story. I just thought you might enjoy a slice of our family history.
No comments:
Post a Comment