Monday, November 16, 2015

Milk Kefir


Homemade kefir is kind of like homemade hummus. It is so superior in flavor and nutrition to its store-bought counterpart that there is absolutely no comparison. If you have never heard of kefir, it is my delight to introduce you to this wonderful, age-old food. 

Kefir is a fermented milk beverage. Before you say "Yuck" and click off this blog, give me a chance to explain. When most people think of the word "fermented" they think of something that is rotten and yucky. But kefir is nothing new and has been consumed by various people groups for centuries. It is not yucky; it is yummy!

Kefir is rich in protein, minerals, and B vitamins. The best part is that kefir contains several strains of probiotics, which help keep your intestinal tract clean. 

And there is good news for lactose-intolerant people. If you cannot consume store-bought pasteurized, homogenized dairy products, chances are good that your body will respond positively to this nutrient-rich food. 

Kefir is easy to make. All you need is kefir grains. If you have a friend that will share some of their kefir grains with you, that is great. If not, you can find them online. (Check out www.culturesforhealth.com to order kefir grains. I recommend this website for a more thorough kefir education than I can provide.)

Here's what you do:

Place kefir grains in a sterilized glass jar. Add milk almost to the top of the jar. I prefer to use organic raw milk, of course. But if you cannot get raw milk, use the most natural milk you can find. 

Cover the glass jar with a coffee filter; secure with a rubber band. Leave on the counter for 12-24 hours. (If you let is set longer, you will still be able to use it, but it will have a much more sour flavor and will coagulate.)


Set a small plastic strainer over a wide-mouth glass jar and, little by little, pour the kefir into the strainer. The liquid will drain into the jar. Use a small spatula to gently separate the grains from the kefir in the strainer. Strain as much liquid as possible out of the grains. When you are finished, the grains should look like tiny cauliflower.



Place your completed kefir in the fridge.  

Sterilize and dry the original glass jar. Return grains to this jar and repeat the kefir-making procedure. 

There are many uses for kefir. Some people drink it the way it is. I find it a bit to sour for my liking so I stir in a little pure maple syrup and drink it that way. You can add it to smoothies. Some people use it to make salad dressings. There are other uses as well but, again, I love it with just a touch of maple syrup. It is smooth, creamy, effervescent, and so delicious. When I drink kefir, I feel an almost instant energy boost. Try it. You are sure to like it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment