Friday, August 14, 2015

Coconut Flour Brownies
























I admit to being a chocolate lover. It is my go-to indulgence. For all of you who immediately say, "tsk, tsk," at least I am very specific about the chocolate I eat. All those candy bars in the grocery store checkout lane do not tempt me in the least. What I do like is really good chocolate: Rich, dark, flavorful, pure, and even raw. 

I also like all things coconut. I like the nutty aroma that fills the kitchen when I cook with coconut. Coconut oil. Coconut flakes (unsweetened). Coconut milk. Even coconut flour, which, by the way, is the latest health food fad. 

Coconut flour is flour like no other. It is extremely dense, and a little goes a long way. Although it is rather expensive, be assured that it will probably last a long time. 

The long and short of it is that this recipe is the perfect marriage between chocolate and coconut. These brownies will melt in your mouth. Plus, because they are so rich and flavorful, you will probably not be tempted to eat several at one setting, but savor just one, enjoying its decadent flavor for a long time. 

(Just an example that eating a higher quality of food helps keep gluttony at bay, because good food actually satisfies us rather than keep us reaching for more because we are not getting enough nutrition.)

Enough lecture. On to the recipe, which is super simple and pretty much no-fail.

1/2 cup + 2 T coconut oil (or butter), melted
1/2 cup + 2 T honey (or maple syrup)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup cacao powder
1/2 cup minus 1 T coconut flour
3 large eggs
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly oil an 8x8-inch baking dish. 

Use an electric mixer to combine all ingredients except walnuts in large bowl. Fold in walnuts. 

Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. 

Bake 25-30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. 

These brownies taste best when they are cold, so after they have cooled to room temperature, place them in an airtight container and refrigerate them. 

Note: I have thought of adding a few additional ingredients to make this more of a "superfood" snack. If you want to try that on your own, consider adding wheat grass, spirulina, blue green algae, ground flax seeds, or chia seeds. These are just a few of many options that can make these brownies even healthier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment