In the last 24 days, we have slept in 10 different beds. That is a lot of packing and unpacking and moving around, not to mention a few nights when it was hard to sleep, as we tried to get used to strange beds and surroundings. Just about the time we get used to one place, it is time to move to another one. :)
There truly is no place like home. To me, "home" means a 33-foot trailer that is 1500 miles away. We could not bring our trailer with us up into New England, in case we encountered snow or ice storms. That makes for potentially dangerous situations.
We did get stuck once in the snow since being here, with just the truck. Fortunately, between us both pushing and Bill shoveling snow and placing boards under the truck, we were able to dislodge our truck in only about 20 minutes. When we can avoid it, we don't like to put our trailer into such situations. It's a lot harder to dig a truck and trailer out of mud or snow than it is just a truck!
I am a bit travel-weary, but living somewhere between tired and exhausted is part of what we do anyway, whether we have our RV or not. We are grateful for the accommodations we have been provided with, but I sure am glad to know that my own "home" is waiting for me in St. Louis. I think I will appreciate my own bed a lot more after six weeks of being without it.
In the meantime, we are doing our best to fully appreciate the benefits of staying in different places that we wouldn't if we had our RV. Places like the Monkey's Fist in Jonesport, Maine where, thanks to Julie Farris, we were able to stay for an additional two nights when we were in between services. Monkey's Fist is a type of knot mariners use that, among other things, is used on a lifeline. It was a tranquil place, a nice little seaside retreat home that served to refresh us as we keep the roads hot.
All in all, everything in life has pros and cons. The reason I am able to keep smiling even when I am exhausted is because I focus on the pros. In reality, they far outweigh the cons and thinking about them reminds me of how blessed I really am.
No comments:
Post a Comment