In the closing days so his life, David asked God, “But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to offer so willingly after this sort? for all things come of thee, and of thine own have we given thee” (I Chronicles 29:14).
Although it would be David’s son Solomon who would oversee the building of the temple – the first project of its kind in the Land of Promise – David was the one who acquired many of the materials for its construction. In I Chronicles 29, David rehearses God’s goodness, then asks, “Who am I God? Who are these people? What is so special about us that we are able to bring all these things before you so that we can build a temple for you to dwell in? God, everything comes from you. The things that we give you are yours already” (My paraphrase).
When I read this passage a few days ago, it struck me that we ever hesitate to give to God. It all belongs to Him anyway.
From a child, my mom and dad – by their examples – taught me to give to the Kingdom of God. I understood that I was not just giving to a church, a missionary, or a project, but I was giving to something much bigger and grander than a single church, missionary, or project. I was giving to Kingdom work; thus, I was giving to God Himself.
And after all, what is money? It is the stuff of commerce, the means by which we gain something we want. So, when I give money to God, I in turn get something I want. It is a financial blessing that I want? Although it is almost inevitable that financial blessings follow giving, I don’t give money to get money. No, what I want is to simply return to God what is His already.
I have sat in many church services, in awe that such a great God would allow me to know Him and allow me to feel Him. When the opportunity came to give to the Kingdom, there was no question. My dad will tell you that there were times when he would give me a $20.00 bill, which I would then give to God. I don’t say this to exalt myself; I say this to illustrate that we can never repay God for what He has done for us. You can’t put a price on Calvary. You can put a price on having peace when you put your head on your pillow at night. You can’t put a price on having God put your family back together. These things are priceless.
Money is a flimsy security blanket. People who trust in money will never feel safe. But people who trust in the Lord will have His protection and peace in the middle of financial storms. He will make sure that you always have enough oil in your vessel. When we put God first with our finances, we acknowledge that He is Lord over all, including our money.
“For all things come of thee, and of thine own have we given thee.”
(I Chronicles 29:14).
No comments:
Post a Comment