This was not a late celebration of St. Patrick's Day; it was an experiment! The only oil I had in the RV, suitable for making mayonnaise, was grapeseed oil, which I had never before used to make mayonnaise. Since necessity really is sometimes the mother of invention, today I invented green mayo! I kind of like the color; it's a nice variation to the ivory-colored mayonnaise I get when I use sunflower or safflower oil. And it passed the Bill's Taste Buds Test, which is not always an easy feat, considering that he is something of an amateur food connoisseur! At any rate, here's my mayonnaise recipe...green if desired!
.
2 eggs
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/8 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
1/4 tsp paprika, optional
1 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice (or 1-1/2 Tbsp each)
2 cups safflower or sunflower oil
Note: Place the oil in the refrigerator at least several hours before making the mayonnaise. Cold oil makes better mayonnaise. Also, use expeller pressed oil.
In a blender, beat the eggs. Add all other ingredients, except the oil, and blend for a few more seconds.
With blender on, add the oil very slowly. The mixture will become thicker as more oil is added, but it must be only a thin stream. Blend mixture until thick. (Pouring the oil in slowly will take at least five minutes.)
Pour mayonnaise into a glass container and refrigerate. It can be kept in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Makes 2 cups
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/8 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
1/4 tsp paprika, optional
1 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice (or 1-1/2 Tbsp each)
2 cups safflower or sunflower oil
Note: Place the oil in the refrigerator at least several hours before making the mayonnaise. Cold oil makes better mayonnaise. Also, use expeller pressed oil.
In a blender, beat the eggs. Add all other ingredients, except the oil, and blend for a few more seconds.
With blender on, add the oil very slowly. The mixture will become thicker as more oil is added, but it must be only a thin stream. Blend mixture until thick. (Pouring the oil in slowly will take at least five minutes.)
Pour mayonnaise into a glass container and refrigerate. It can be kept in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Makes 2 cups
Heehee, how neat! I love homemade mayo. Would the grapeseed be a little healthier? I've learned it's a great cooking oil.
ReplyDelete