Friday, May 20, 2022

"The Violent Take It By Force"

I have wondered about the meaning of “the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force” (Matthew 11:12). I hope I am not misinterpreting this verse, but I offer you my analysis for your consideration.

Violence is not usually a good way to deal with conflict. There are exceptions, though. You might be a peaceful person. But let an invader enter your home and you might become violent, right? Your normally placid personality might instantly morph into attack mode. You have family and a home to defend and you are not about to allow an invader to violate what you value most in life.

When the Kingdom of Heaven is attacked, those of us who live in this realm should not allow the enemy to enter our lives, families, and churches without a fight.
 
We are peace-seekers but there are exceptions to pacifism. Our prayers will become intense as we fight against our fleshly nature and shore up our lives. We make no apologies for putting on the armor of God to protect us and provide us with offensive weapons (Ephesians 6:10-18). When we fight battles against our flesh and the devil, we are fighting to preserve peace.
 
Why take this effort, doing things that seem extreme and even “violent?” The reason is simple: Some things are worth fighting for! 

No comments:

Post a Comment