Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Riverview Gardens Elementary School

This is me standing in front of what used to be my elementary school. It is gone! Razed to the ground, the building where I spent seven years of my educational life is now just a memory. 

I actually have quite fond memories of my time at this elementary school...playing with my friends, passing time in the library, learning my ABCs from the Letter People... I always got excited when the Bookmobile came around because they had books the school library did not have. In this building is where I took three years of violin lessons. (Unfortunately, I did not retain much from the lessons.) 

I remember my favorite teachers, Mrs. Dozier, who taught fifth grade, and her husband, Mr. Dozier, who taught sixth grade. Their classrooms were next to each other. They even sent me a wedding present many years after I had left their classrooms! 

I walked to school, up some wooden steps that passed over a little creek. Many more memories come to mind so, although the building is gone, the memories live on. Certainly, the building's brick and mortar are not as important as the events that occurred there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment