Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Conversation with God


Before a service, as I was ironing, the Lord spoke directly and clearly to me this dialogue that I entitled “A Conversation with God.” I shared it with the church at the close of the meeting and it dovetailed beautifully with the rest of the service, ministering especially to a young lady on the verge of choosing a path for her life. 


I think it would be safe to say that most Christians give their lives to God but then try to take their lives out of His hands later. When they realize what it means to lose their lives in Christ, they have second thoughts.

“No control? No say in the matter? You mean God gets to call all of the shots? Wait a minute...I’m not sure that is what I want. I would rather get to make some of the decisions.
“If I save my life, I will lose it? If I lose it, I will save it?
“But I want control! I want to dictate some of the decisions myself. God probably does not know what He is doing. He is a little out of touch with my personal ambitions. Look at all the things I could achieve with my life if I do what I think is best! It would be better if I direct my life. I will consult God on some things that are not too important. I can handle my life. I’ll let Him take care of other stuff, like keeping the universe in order. I’ll tend to my own affairs.”
        
Soon, the glow of first love flickers and its light is threatened by the force of our own carnal will. Many times, we are determined to extinguish the power of God in our lives simply because we want our own way. We are sure that we can figure everything out ourselves.

“If I save my life, I will lose it? You mean, if I try to preserve my own life and direct my own steps, I will lose in the long run? Oh well, maybe that verse is for everyone else but me.
“You see, I am really smart. I can think straight and I know what is best for my life. I have dreams, ambitions, goals, plans. It is important that I feel like my life is fulfilling, that my dreams become reality, that I make something of myself.
“I can make a difference in this world with the contributions of my talents and skills! It will be a good feeling, knowing that I am successful. Yes, that is what I want. Maybe when I have achieved all I need to achieve, I will check in with God and see if He needs me to do something else.”

God whispers, “But life may be over by then. You might be laying in a hospital bed, knowing that your last breath is about to be inhaled.”

“Oh, that is so far away. Death does not seem real to me. Look at all the time I have to achieve, to learn, to make a name for myself. I think I will push death to the very back of my mind. It only happens to other people who are really old and feeble and not good for much. I am strong, capable, and have life by the tail. Everything is going my way and I like it like that. I’ll just ride this roller coaster until it stops.”

All the time you are making your plans, God – the All Mighty, the All Knowing God - is trying to reason with you:

“If you try to save your life, you will lose it…you will lose it all. But if you lose your life, you will save it.
I don’t think the way you think. My thoughts are the complete opposite of your thoughts. My thoughts are so much higher than yours. Please give up, give in. Let me have your life. I will make something beautiful out of it. No, it might not be what you have planned. Your dreams might have to die.
“I won’t lie to you: There will be hardships, trials. It won’t be easy. You will have to learn to rest, to not fight me every step of the way. You will have to learn to trust me because hard, even very painful, things will come your way. Many times you will not understand what is going on. But if you will give me your life and pledge to never try to take it back, in the end, you will be glad you gave in.
“You can’t see me but I can see you. I see things in you even you cannot see. I see abilities you have never considered. Please let me take you. Let me mold you, change you. Don’t resist me and my will. I will take every painful thing in your life and use it for my glory. In the end, you still might not be able to make sense of everything you have had to endure, but please understand that my ways are right.
“You only see from the perspective of your own being; I view things differently. I see millions of people that need me. I am not just thinking of you; I am thinking of them too. You can be my vessel to help reach some of them, if you will just rest in me, just trust me with every aspect of your life. 
“When all is said and done, you will be glad you gave in. You will be glad you gave up control of your life. Then…and only then...will you understand what true fulfillment is all about.”
  
Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself,
and take up his cross, and follow me.
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; 
but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, 
the same shall save it.
Mark 8:35

No comments:

Post a Comment